Sunday, January 27, 2013

My first Rugby Game... In Spain?

Rugby in Spain?
   

    One of my erasmus friends, Ed, here in Murcia plays for the Murcia rugby team (still un-confirmed whether Aaron plays or not- no evidence to the affirmative). From what I understand it's extremely popular in England which made a match here in Murcia even more appealing. Though at first thought, rugby doesn't seem like the most culturally relevant spanish experience, it was a great experience none the less.

 Not one part of this description would be possible without Annie imparting her bits of rugby knowledge onto me. Not even Wikipedia, and yes, I tried. My friend Annie and I showed up at the second half and marched our way across the track surrounding the field to get a front row seat. Proximity was my only weapon against my crippling sense of confusion about how a rugby game works.

Thumbs up for rugby love
Annie posing with Ed somewhere out there!

      For those of you, much like myself, that have heard of american football's strange second cousin that people only ask vague questions about because they really have no idea what's going on with that situation, let me enlighten you. There's two 45 minute halves but the game moves at such a quick pace it doesn't seem to take that long. It's a mash up between football (soccer!) and american football with less padding and far fewer whistles. Also, picture that someone's mom or adoring fan on the sidelines took a video of the game, you borrowed it, and watched it in reverse. That about sums it up. 

The Scrum: Trying to get possession of the ball


Ed setting up for a lineout (don't ask me what that is)
    I may not quite understand the intricacies or really much about the game, but it was exciting to see a new sport. Maybe it wasn't the most spanish excursion possible, but I felt more like a true Murcian being there than visiting the Cathedral or photographing tourist sights. Kudos to Ed for playing rugby in Spain, almost as impressive as me going to one and playing photographer :) 

   Although I may have just given the world's most inadequate description of a sports game, here's a more accurate and descriptive link. 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment